These instructions are directly from an instructor and have not been tested by IT Services.
Download, install, and run the free version of MakeMKV.
- Press the large blue DVD icon and wait until the app finishes scanning the disc.
- Select the output folder and press the “MakeMKV” icon to begin ripping. This process could take 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the available computing resources.
- Open the resulting video file with VLC Media Player.
- In the “Subtitle” menu, optionally select a language for subtitles.
- Sign in to Blackboard Collaborate online classroom (tested using the Chrome browser, others may not work).
Go to Share Content -> Share Application/Screen. Three tabs will now appear:
- Your Entire Screen
- Application Window
- Chrome Tab
- Under “Your Entire Screen” select the screen and check the “Share audio” box. Press “Share.” Any resulting tunnel view will not be shared, so ignore it.
- Bring the VLC window to the foreground, and optionally maximize it so it fills the screen. This is what students will see.
- Audio can only be shared when the entire screen or Chrome tab is selected; anything in an application window will be silent when shared.
- For best results, silence the microphone in Collaborate, otherwise students might hear an echo when the video is playing.
- Test this in advance to make sure the computer has enough memory to handle a large video file without slowing down or crashing VLC.